Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is Halloween Evil?

Attention everyone! Though this is posted by me (Jessica) it was actually Savannah who wrote it. Because she doesn't have enough computer time to post, she writes the articles, and I simply put them on the site for her. So here's what Savannah has to say.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a few days most people will be carving pumpkins and Trick-or-Treating. But for some people, it will be just an average night.
All my friends are Christians, and 60% to 70% celebrate Halloween. The other 40% to 50% don't have anything to do with it. Recently a friend of mine told me that Halloween was Satan's holiday and celebrating it was worshiping Satan. She asked my sister if we celebrate Halloween and she (my sister) said yes.

My answer to the question: 'Is Halloween evil?' In one sentence my answer is... It can be, but it doesn't have to be.

The same friend that said Halloween is Satan's holiday also said that she thinks her neighbors burn cats as an offering to the Devil on Halloween. Now that would be sick, twisted, cruel and evil. Playing pranks on people is as well. Dressing up in over the top costumes such as the Devil, or scary things I find to be evil as well. But, if you avoid Pagan, cruel, and twisted things that are associated with Halloween, I believe you can celebrate Halloween as a Christian.
In my family we carve pumpkins and Trick-or-Treat for Halloween. We dress up in costumes such as princesses, coal miners, cats, surgeons, old men, or scarecrows. For us, Halloween is about having fun and enjoying Fall, not worshiping Satan.

If you are wondering, 'Why celebrate it if it is even associated with being evil?' Here is my answer: Do you celebrate Christmas? I assume you said yes. Christmas can be evil when the focus is taken off Jesus and onto money and presents, but we celebrate it anyway with the focus on Jesus.

Do you celebrate Halloween? Why or why not?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I really love that post! We do celeabrate Halloween, but not in that way. We go to a Harvest Party at my Grandma's Church. And then we go to a Tae-kwon-do Costume Party.

That is a pretty good answer to the question, Savannah!

Natalie

SamanthaMarie said...

I really appreciate the comment left on my blog regarding this very topic. I agree with the entirety of this blog. (:
One must be careful regarding all things they do, whether walking across a street, serving the poor, or celebrating Halloween. If done with the wrong heart it can be very evil, but if done with a heart focused upon Jesus we can do these activities honorably.
Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Nope, I don't celebrate Halloween. I don't see the point in celebrating something so closely related to the occult. Tom Sanguinet, who was once a high priest in the Celtic tradition of Wicca (where Halloween came from), but is now a Christian said, "Halloween is purely and absolutely evil, and there is nothing we ever have or will do that would make it acceptable to the Lord Jesus." I don't quote people just to quote people. I put that to show what some who truly knows what halloween is about has to say about it.

Why would we celebrate something that glorifies death and witchcraft? Like the Bible says - What fellowship can light have with darkness? Halloween is a dark holiday. You can see that by just driving around your neighborhood. It has origins in a Satanic religion.

I would encourage everybody to look up where Halloween comes from. Why celebrate it? It doesn't hurt you not too. I don't see the need to celebrate something that began as evil. Would I have a party on September 11th and celebrate the attacks on our country. Of course not! So why would I have a party and celebrate a holiday that attacks everything we as Christians stand for? Just something to think about..