Sunday, August 24, 2008

Clothes #1

Please note:
As you read this, please remember that these are my thoughts and opinions on this topic. Yours may be very different then mine, and that's okay. Please don't get angry if you think something I am saying is blasphemy or just plain wrong. Instead, please express these thoughts/opinions in the comments; I would love to hear someone (and anyone!) else's opinion on this topic. Thank you!



Back in the times the Bible was written, what people expected of women was very different. Women wore dresses, headcloths, and such. In the bible, it even tells women to do this. But since today's times are so different, should we still obey these, or should we keep up with the times? I have been debating this against myself, and think that it truly does not matter whether we dress like we did then, or now. Because in the beginning, Adam and Eve wore no clothes. This is from the Bible.

When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
-Genisis 3:6-7


It (the Bible) also says,

The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. -Genisis 3:21

So does that mean we should wear the same type of clothes Adam and Eve did? How do we even know if Eve wore dresses? Maybe the clothes God made her were the same as Adam's. We can't know.
I believe that it is okay to wear jeans and t-shirts, shorts, tank tops; normal clothes of the day. God would want us to be ourselves, and loves us for ourselves. So it doesn't matter whether we wear what they did when the Bible was written, or what most people (in the US; I don't know much about what people wear in other countries) wear now. As for headcloths, they way I understand it is that the hair is the covering. Some people may and do interpret it differently, though, and that is fine, these are just my opinions.

I'll be posting a second article on clothes next week sometime. Well, I think that's all for now.

Jessica

2 comments:

Savannah Nichole said...

interesting post Jessica. Savannah

Jessica Gookin said...

Why thank you. I have a bunch more of ideas for posts, but I'm trying to space them all out.